Friday, January 22, 2016

This Week in the Garden: Veggies, Flowers, and Pesky Little Invaders


It's veggie time at last!  After our late planting start, we have had little to harvest from the veggie patch thus far, but at last the peas are here, things are shaping up nicely on the squash and cucumber plants, the carrots are growing fat and the onions have bulbed out beautifully.  Hooray!  Check out the pretty little pattypan above fattening up under its momma flower. 


The flower garden is still looking a little sparse and straggly as things continue to fill in and spread, but there are patches of loveliness throughout.  After many rainy-day beatings and windy wavy days, I finally managed to sneak in a few pictures of my ANZAC Flanders poppies this week, aren't they gorgeous?   I have been deadheading some of the poppies (of all my varieties) in the hope of a second flush of flowers but am also leaving a few to mature into ripe little seed pods for replanting in a more sheltered location next year.


Not so gorgeous are the pesky little fluffy-bummed invaders munching away on my plants.  The population of passion vine hoppers (both nymph and adult pictured below) in our garden is crazy this summer!  To my ongoing frustration, I had been having little success with bee-conscious countermeasures BUT I think we have finally rounded a corner in my battle. I'll let you know all about it in a future post after confirming that it has worked....or failed.... Definitely making some notes for the garden journal!

What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  

P.S. Did you catch our collaboration post at Creativity Unmasked this week on DIY Plantable Seed Paper Valentines?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.